Friday, February 10, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of 02/06/17

This week, I continued my exploration of Domain Four: Information. Looking into standard 4.1, I completed a POGIL about Translation. Here, I looked into which mRNA nucleotides code for amino acids, and learned that to cope with mutations, multiple sequences of bases result in the same amino acids, not disrupting the polypeptide chain. Because mutations do happen (as seen in standard 4.2), I completed another packet about the Belgian Blue Mound of Beef. This is a breed of cattle with mutated DNA, causing it to not be able to develop the myostatin protein. The loss of this protein makes it so the animal cannot regulate cell development, growth, and division. This packet also tested my knowledge on translating DNA to RNA, and RNA to amino acids. I have gotten quite good at this!
The greater part of my week was spent completing a Play-Doh activity on making polypeptide chains. I was paired with Eric, a new partner. We worked very well together, and used our time very wisely. We are almost finished creating a slideshow about how a double helix and code for a polypeptide chain. This hit standard 4.1. It was really fun being able to “play” with Play-Doh while learning information and reviewing ideas for the quiz on Friday.
For homework this week, I had to complete a vodcast divided up into three parts about biotechnology. It focused largely on the tools and techniques used in biology, as well as their applications and the ethics of the field. Though it was very interesting to see “behind the scenes,” I will have to work very hard to completely understand all of the tools and techniques of biotechnology. For me, it was very difficult separating vectors, labeling, PCR, and microarray in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment