Friday, April 7, 2017

Weekly Reflection of 04/03/2017

    This week we started Domain 5! We’re now looking at the regulation of cells, as well as their communication with other cells and the environment. To kick off the unit, I looked at stickleback fish and how they have adapted to the environment based on their current conditions (standards 5.1 and 5.2). This brought back the first unit of evolution, which helps wrap topics back up before the AP exam. It also makes a lot more sense to me now by looking how these changes occur instead of just why.
I also participated in a group project on the excretion, nutrition, gas exchange, and circulation of organisms (standards 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5). This was done by giving examples of different classes of life and explaining their bodily processes in a pamphlet. The activity allowed classmates to be interactive through comments online and learn through others’ questions. All of the groups did a very good job putting together their information, so I was able to get a lot out of this project!
I am expanding on my knowledge of genetics from the previous domain on genetics by looking at certain sequences that are conserved even through evolution in Vodcast 5.1. These pieces in the genome are called Homeobox genes, and show where different body parts are to be made or placed during development and reproduction. Although not a lot of class time was devoted to looking into this concept further, it was touched upon in the online textbook which has allowed me to understand it better.
Overall, I need to further my knowledge on the development in animals and plants as touched upon in Vodcast 5.2. It has not clicked 100% for me, but I think if I were to go through the slides or listen to the video again, it would help me a lot. I will also go through the online textbook to clarify some of my questions and trouble-spots on these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment