Friday, April 14, 2017

Weekly Reflection of 04/10/17

This week was spent collaborating and working on the heart dissection lab. This was “opened” (literally) with a video from the BBC about early heart surgeries. Cardiac Surgeons have had a rough beginning, but once a few were brave enough to fail, the field greatly expanded. This impacted me on a deeper scale because many times I am afraid to fail because of how others might judge me or the blame that might be put on me. It occurred to me that nothing new will happen if I spend my time worrying about failing rather than trying things out for myself. In the heart dissection lab, I helped my lab partner, Sophie, and we were able to remove all the outer parts of the heart so we could see the atriums and the interventricular sulcus. It was really interesting to see the different parts of the deer heart, as well as finding all the arteries and ventricles that allow the heart to send blood through the lungs and to the rest of the body (standard 6.6). Taking what I learned from the BBC video, I took the initiative of opening up the heart with the scalpel. We then looked at the different fat tissues and measured parts of the deer heart. This lab was very interesting, and I learned a great deal about how blood is pumped through the human body and oxygenated by the lungs!
We also reviewed Vodcasts 5.1 and 5.2. Vodcast 5.1 looked over how cells become specialized to create certain tissues and organs (standard 5.1). I really enjoyed these discussions, I felt like it had a real connection to Sam Rhine’s Genetic Conference the biology class participated in last October. Vodcast 5.2 continued exploration from October about what happens during animal development. I remember learning about the placenta and amniotic egg from the conference, so it was easier to pick up the concepts when looking at them a second time around. I need to look back on the most recent vodcasts regarding osmoregulation to gain a better understanding of this topic.

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic, Bri! I'm so happy you gained so much from the week, and it takes a lot of courage to be willing to fail (trust me, I still struggle with that too!) but that is how we move forward!!

    ReplyDelete